Bali is 'where spiritual life permeates daily life'.....the words resonated from a documentary I saw upon returning from Bali this fall. I remember the first morning stepping out onto the sidewalk and intrigued by the women setting out offerings. These offerings are made anew each day...out of palm leafs, 4 different colors of flower petals to represent the 4 directions and elements, incense, and holy water....the three latter due to the Hinduism trinity of Brahma, Vishnu, and Shiva. These offerings are generally prepared by women and set out by women...each day in front of temples, doorways, shop entrances, everywhere. Traditional set with the new...I chuckled at the mini ritz pieces that the dogs would come eat.
That day we continued walking into the rice paddy fields just on the periphery of Ubud.....The mountains were in the distance of the closer palm trees and the glorious rice paddies dazzled with small temples. Men working early mornings at planting, transplanting and caring for the rice. This is the Balinese's peoples staple...families for generations and generations have been taking care of the land, giving thanks as they harvest.
Our walk ended at a textile and art cooperative supporting various communities of Bali. There the processes of batik and ikat are easily understood, however not so easily done!
In the evening I attended a dance performance set to the captivating gamelan music. The dancers were incredible, intricately moving their fingers and eyes in ways that seemed almost unhuman. I was engrossed at the intent of having such control over such subtle yet profound movements.
What struck me most that day was the artistry and dedication that I was witnessing. The art of the offerings, the rice fields and the dedication, the processes of the textiles, and the symbolic dancing was so evidently a way of life.....I believe the Balinese are truely artists and weave in such beauty represents their every day life....being gracious and grounded to that which is so much more than what is physically here.
I tried to incorporate elements of this art into my practice....moving and exercising my eyes, focusing on mudras, stepping and moving with grace, but more importantly with dedication....I reflected back to Ishvara Pranidhana of Patanjali's Yoga Sutras. We in a sense 'surrender' or 'devote' to what is greater than ourselves. For me that means dedicating my asana practice, being intentional, and furthermore letting my spirit shine, limitlessly.....what I experienced in that first day is what I try to cultivate on the mat...offering grace.
Day 39 and Day 40
16 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment